Monday, September 12, 2011

A New Experiment in Community Photography (part 2)

So as I got feed back from my friends and family, I came to the conclusion that I need to edit and explain this weekly experiment a little better. This blog is nothing without you the reader.  Together we will create a community of ideas and I will try my best to bring those Ideas together in a photographic way.  Each week will consist of three parts. This process will take three weeks to go from beginning to end.  First I will do today's post including an image and written piece from which you can comment about and leave your ideas for new themes.  At the week, when I post again, I will take 3-4 comments and place them into a poll question where you can vote on which one you want me to use next.  The poll will be up for a week, at the end I will take the winning theme and use it for the weekly photo shoots. If this is still confusing I will use this weeks post and comments to give a demonstration.

Essence of Salt Lake City (the week's theme)

Salt Lake City is an interesting place to live. When I think about what could be the essence of this place I have to pause and think about the varying identities encompassed within.  I thought about the constant change that takes place. The overwhelming heat of summer and the winter that will stop you in your tracks.  New buildings springing up out of the ground as our city grows and new people come to join us in the desert.  I thought of the history and its constant reminder of where we come from as Utahans.  And of course with that history I can not ignore the LDS church and how this city has grown up around and commingled with their influence.  I think that the essence of Salt Lake City is just that the growth and give and take that the city has with the LDS religion.  Some may say that is what holds back our town from being truly great.  They may have their points but I like to see it in a more positive frame of mind as the LDS church and Salt Lake City grow and change together making the essence of Salt Lake City one of a kind.

It was hard to think what I could photograph to capture all of this. I decided to just walk around the city and photograph what I saw. I came across this scene at Abravanel Hall. I see the reflection of Temple Square and the State Capitol building in this beautiful glass wall where enchanting music is played. They brought together different communities as one. That is what I think SLC is a community of many different backgrounds that create a beautiful place to live.



9 comments:

  1. Now for the demonstration.

    Random reader: "I think you should do a photo shoot on fears".

    This idea for a theme is good but it has to wait a week to go into the poll question. I already have 3 themes int he poll question that you can vote one and next week I will shoot the winning theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pic! And your concept is a lot more elaborate than I'd interpreted it to be; sorry if I threw you off your pace in the first week. Can't wait to see where you take it from here, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO your idea for the theme was great. I'll take each theme and try to go somewhere with it. This week I just happened to go in this direction. Another week it might be the same theme but a different direction. Thank you for participating. Bring on the themes I love doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the story behind why you took the photo where you did. it's great. So true that SLC is changing with both the LDS religion and the people who make Salt Lake what it is. Your photo captures those two aspects in a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen- love this shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really is a great picture, from the wavy lines to the blue, clouded sky, to the prominence of Temple Square, but the open skyline fading off into the distance. I think it really captures Salt Lake City, and the reflection aspect of it is just cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photo! Love the reflection, the colors, the lines. So many wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this picture!! I once went to New Orleans over the 4th of July and I watched the fireworks on the windows of the hotel next door and it was pretty cool. This totally gives me of that same feeling. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete